Helping others helps me

How have I contributed to the learning of others?

DISCORD

Finally!! On May 24th it happened…I could finally help someone. I was able to help Julie figure out how to make the menu titles not be clickable in the menu bar. The awesome part of this was I just watched Katia’s lesson again on this so I could figure it out for my own blog. I was pretty happy to know what I was talking about and be able to assist a fellow classmate. AND….she thanked me.

I found Discord to be a bit overwhelming. I also thought it was difficult to jump in on conversations that were already happening. Glad I had the chance to help Julie.

TWITTER

I was a very reluctant twitter user. To be honest I was not happy at all to be using social media. I was proud of myself for not having any social media accounts. In the beginning of using Twitter I was very nervous about tweeting. I was not wanting to offend anyone and was nervous about the digital footprint that I was leaving. As time went on, I gained confidence and a voice for the causes that are important to me.

My favorite experience on Twitter just happened recently. Because of EDTC300, I gained a new friend Jennifer New. I asked her to be my partner for the cyber sleuthing activity. I gained a better understanding of her life and found out that we both had a love of learning. Both of us are mature students so I felt inspired to encourage her so I posted the following quote and tagged her in it.

Image

This was her response:

This actually made me laugh out loud! I enjoyed the experience of tagging someone in a tweet that brought joy to them. I know that I encouraged her! I loved her hashtag #Perserverance!

I started getting the hang of Twitter. Instead of just retweeting and posting educational materials, I started my very first conversation! I posted what I though was an inspirational story about Henry Darby. Henry is a principal who took on a second job at Walmart to help meet the needs of some of his students. I challenged @kbhildebrandt, @JennNew2, @mssydneyhoffman, and @TaylorBlake05 what they would do to help their students. My post received a “like” from Katia so I felt like I was finally getting it right!

EDTC#300 BLOG COMMENTS

May 30th – Enjoyed reading and comment on Glejdis’ blog. I liked that someone else had a learning project related to fitness.

3 Comments

•  Linnette Guderyan says:May 30, 2021 at 3:42 pmThanks for the encouraging post. As long as the trajectory is forward you will be successful. Listen to your body and rest when needed!

May 31st – Enjoyed reading Ericka’s learning project post about her Cricut. I encouraged her that someday I bet she would use this experience in her future classroom.

Comments

•  Linnette Guderyan says:June 1, 2021 at 12:18 amHow creative! I bet you will use this in your future classroom. Well done.

June 1 – Gabby H shared a video regarding finger spelling in her blog post. I encouraged her to keep learning so that she could share with her future students.

Linnette Guderyan says:June 1, 2021 at 6:21 pm

Love the video you added! I look forward to seeing how you incorporate your learning project into your future classroom! Great job!

June 2 – Janet shared her thoughts regarding ethical decisions. Sometimes it is difficult being open and transparent so I encouraged her.

mrsguderyanJune 3, 2021 at 3:00 am

Thank you for sharing your own personal thoughts. I agree that students need to be taught how to make good ethical decisions.

June 3 – Andrew shared is growth in the area of cooking. I wanted to encourage this experience because who knows….one day maybe a foods teacher!

Linnette Guderyan on May 24, 2021 at 1:03 am said:

This is fantastic! Maybe you will be a Foods teacher!

You're never too old to learn a lesson | by Treadmill Treats | Medium

I feel like just being in this class has encouraged my classmates that you are never too old to learn. I hope that they have felt and saw the perseverance in me!