Well-rounded citizens

This week in EDTC300 we focused on Ribble’s Nine Elements of Digital Citizenship. The most up to date definition for digital citizenship is that “Digital citizenship is the continuously developing norms of appropriate, responsible, and empowered technology use.” Since I plan to use technology in my future classroom everyday, I feel that it is very important to educate my students on the accepted norms. I would touch on these nine elements:

1. Digital Access
  2. Digital Commerce
  3. Digital Communication and Collaboration
  4. Digital Etiquette
  5. Digital Fluency
  6. Digital Health and Welfare
  7. Digital Law
  8. Digital Rights and Responsibilities
  9. Digital Security and Privacy

The Saskatchewan curriculum provides many opportunities to incorporate digital citizenship into its teachings. For example, The Student Well Being Supports has an opportunity to teach students to be kind online. This is a great opportunity to help students be kind to each other online. It also provides students the chance to receive a $1000.00 to bring their “kind” ideas to life.

I plan to use digital citizenship in my future classroom to reach the outcomes for treaty education. I have a great desire to educate young people so that they can respectfully understand the news they read online and be truthfully informed about Canada’s history. We should not shy away from difficult conversations. We all need to educated so that our eyes can be open. Truth and Reconciliation needs to be a part of our shared future.

While I lead and teach my students I want to build positive digital experiences while educating my students that their choices have long-lasting consequences. I would hope that through education my students would begin making the right decisions for themselves.

Digital Learners and Digital Wisdom in a Digital World | Logan Petlak

SO YOUR'E TELLING ME ITS THAT EASY TO BE A GOOD DIGITAL CITIZEN - Skeptical  Third World Kid | Make a Meme

1 thought on “Well-rounded citizens

1. I really appreciate your desire to emphasize Truth and Reconciliation, as well, teaching your students how to assess online information to become informed digital participants. Both areas are critical in becoming educated in our community and the ways in which we live our lives. Great ambitions 🙂